Return to main navigation Page
What are they?
Transition rules designate when the next document or document
state triggers. Actions that do not take users to a different document
(or document state) do not require transition rules.
How do they work?
Within transition rules you can also set up email, fax, or
XML notification to trigger when an action occurs. Transitions from one
step to another will also trigger auto-forwarding rules that have been
set up for the step a transaction moves into.
Here are some rules regarding transition rules:
- They are bound to one, and only one, action.
- They can change the step in the Commerce Process.
- If a user does not belong to a profile in the next step, the user loses all access rights to the process.
- You can order transition rules to set rule precedence.
- When the commerce system can trigger more than
one rule for an action in a single step, the system triggers the
transition rule with the highest precedence.
Creating a Transition Rule (Moving Docs between Workflow Steps)
- Navigate from: Admin Home Page > Commerce
and Documents > Process Definition > Select a
Commerce Process > Steps
- Click on a desired step to expand it.
- Right-click on a participant profile.
Click Add Transition Rule.
- Enter a Name and Description for the rule.
- Choose a Process or Quote action from the Action drop-down. This is the action that will trigger the transition rule.
- Click Save.
This will remove the Action drop-down and replace it with condition and transition options.
- Select the rule Conditions:
- Always Return True: The transition rule will always fire.
- Advanced Conditions: Click Define Function to create the conditions in which the rule will fire through a BML script.
Choose the step that the document will be moved to from the Transition to Step drop-down.
- Click Save.
- Click Define Notifications to manage any notifications that are sent when a transition rule triggers.
Transition rules are tied to profiles and
actions, rather than timers exclusively. This means, a transition rule
will trigger if any user in the profile performs the Commerce action.