Return to main navigation Page
Approval Sequences manage the reasons a quote should be
approved and who is responsible for approving the quotes. In this
article, we'll show you to how create and manage reasons within an
- Navigate to the Admin Action page.
- Click Admin to go to the Admin Home Page.
Click Process Definition under Commerce and Documents.
The Processes page appears.
Confirm that the Navigation column has Documents selected, and then click List for the Commerce Process in which you wish to edit the approval sequence.
The Document List page appears.
Select Actions from the Navigation drop-down for the Transaction/Quote level, and then click List.
The Action List page appears.
Click the Action Name of an action with Submit in its Type column.
The Admin Action page appears.
Depending on your implementation, this action may be named Submit.
In the General tab, click Edit Approvals.
The Process Definition Approval Sequence page appears.
- Click the Add Child icon on the submit action header.
If this is the first reason in a new sequence, the Add Child dialog box will appear automatically.
Enter a Reason Name and Variable Name in the Add Child dialog box, and then click Save.
- Click the Edit iconon the reason to edit the name or description, or to set the reason conditions.
Select the Required option, if desired.
When Required is selected, reasons that follow this one in the sequence will be skipped if this reason condition evaluates to false.
Enter Conditions for the reason.
Conditions are evaluated when the user clicks Submit.
- If the conditions are returned true,
then the approval sequence for the reason is executed and the system
will modify the Approval Status and Reject/Approve icon attributes.
- The condition editor is similar to that in Configuration except:
- Click Save.
Now that you have created reasons, you can add approvers to the sequence.
- Parallel Approver Sequences: both approvers have to approve the quote for it to be considered "approved" and move to the next Step in the Workflow.
- Serial Approval Sequences: In a Serial Approver Sequence, the Reason must be approved by a first-level approver BEFORE moving to the next approver.
Follow these steps:
Click Approvers from within a Reason.
- Choose an Approver Selection: Simple or Advanced.
Advanced approvers functionality requires that at least one approver is returned. The format is:
The 1 denotes that it is a user that is being designated as the approver.
The 2 denotes that it is a group that is being designated as the approver.
Only add the | delimiter if there are multiple approvers.
Select users or groups from the drop-down, then click Save.
If a group is added, only one person in the group needs to approve the quote to move it to the next approval in the workflow.
If more than one group or user is selected, then the values will be delimited with an "or".
Click the Edit icon on the Approver to enter conditions and manage notifications.
- Select the Required option, if desired.
When selected, approvers that follow this one in the sequence will be skipped if this approver condition evaluates to false.
- Select the Notification type:
- None: Select to disable all email notifications (for example, Pending Approval, Retraction, Rejection, and so on).
- Template: Select from the pending approval notifications that were created from an Email Template. If you select Template, two more options appear: Email Template and Attachment.
- Advanced: Use BML to create the pending approval notification.
- Select the Email Template to use for the pending approval notification email.
This is only available if you selected Template for the Notification type above, in Step 6.
- Select one attachment to include in the
notification email. This can be any document created by the Document
Designer or Document Engine, or a Printer-Friendly/History XSL.
This is only available if you selected Template for the Notification type in Step 6.
- Set an Approver Reminder (in days). This will send a reminder to the approver, if they have not responded, every x (1-7) amount of days.
- Enter the Conditions for when this approver will need to approve the quote. You can select from:
- Always True The user/group will always to have to approve the quote for the reason.
- Simple Condition Set conditions, row by row, that must be met for the user/group to approve the quote.
- Advanced Condition Use BML to set conditions that must be met for the user/group to approve the quote.
Edit the users at any time by following Steps 3-4 on the Approval.
- Click Save.
- Click the Add Child icon on the Approver to add additional approvers.
Follow these steps for each approver in the sequence.
have added all approvers for a sequence, you will see a visual
representation similar to the image below. The Reason will be the
header at the top, with the approvers in the graph beneath it:
You can drag-and-drop reasons from one parent/child to another.
If more than one reason is coming from a
parent, then these are considered to be parallel reason flows.
Parent/child relationships are considered serial flows. In serial
flows, once a parent reason has been approved, child reason
notifications are sent.
Email templates can only be used for pending approval notifications.
reason will only be sent to a delegated approver when the approver is
defined as an individual, not as a member of a group. See Delegated Approvers for more information.
Only one XSL view or document can be attached to an email notification.
If you delete a parent reason or approver, the child is also deleted.